different pictures, different sizes with different megapixels

Previous topic - Next topic

Perplexus

I want to make a pdf with celebrities in it. I will create thumbnails of the celebrities. The problem is that not one of the pictures is alike. Some of them are as large as 860MB but others are as small as 28.4KB.

What is the best way to handle this task?

utnik

hi perplexus

as long as the quality of all the pictures is high enough for your needs, i don't see your problem.
if you intend to shrink a 860mb-file to thumbnail size, it could be useful to do this with an image processor...

utnik

GarryP

I'm going slightly off-topic here but please make sure that you have the right to use the pictures if the PDF is not just for personal use.

If you're creating something for other people to see you will need to make sure that the content - including all images - is legally available for you to manipulate and then publish to your intended audience.

Not every picture on the web - including those on some, supposedly, royalty-free photo sites - can be legally downloaded or copied without the permission of the owner(s) of the photo. (I'm making an assumption here that you haven't taken the photos of the celebrities yourself since they're all kinds of sizes.)

This might not be an issue for you but I thought it might be worth mentioning as a general warning to Scribus users who are thinking of doing a similar thing.

The bottom line: Unless you know for certain that you can use a photo in your creations it's safer - and potentially much less costly - simply not to use it.

This might sound a bit "over the top" but you're better safe than sorry. However, it's your decision.

P.S. If you're using a Mac you might want to try using "ThumbsUp" http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html to create your thumbnails. It's free and very easy to use; just drag and drop. Or there's "Thumbscrew" https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16312/thumbscrew/ which is also free and produces good results.

Nermander

I would have used ImageMagick to scale the images (I'd just make a folder with copies and run mogrify --resize with a suitable geometry).

Perplexus

I am aware that copying pictures from the internet can be illegal but I am using this strictly for personal use. Thank you for your replies.