how to create a small book, many pades in A5 format to print in A4

Previous topic - Next topic

disaster.net

Sorry for my english i had lot of problem translate what i mean...

for understand me you can tace 2 pices of A4 paper ine up, one qown and fold it to obtain a book of 8 pages...

when i go to print i must have
face of first sheet  1 A4 contain page 8,1
face 2 first sheet A4 contain pages 2,7
face  1 of second sheet contain pages 3,6
face 2 of second sheet contain pages 4,5

when i write i write like  a normal editind 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and so on.. and when i add a ne sheet i must add 4 pages.. otherwise the printing do not go well

is it possible ?

in other DTP it is quite easy bit i never find a solution in Scribus.

Tnks in advice

Flavio from Italy

utnik

hi disaster (strange name, by the way...)

• set up your file in a double sided layout
  • export the final document as a .pdf file
  • open it with adobe reader
  • print it in booklet mode and adobe reader will care about the page order
if you send your work to a print shop, usually they'll do the impositioning...

utnik

disaster.net

Ummmmm
really tnks i will try with your sggestion...

my nick is like a joke.. when 15 years ago i start with linux i had make lot of disasters with my pc.. than my friends uf linux user group in Padua  called me "Disaster"

than i use dhis niknames for all forums/newrok of linux  and nformatics :)

TNks again i wil try as soon as possible
Flavio

disaster.net

>:(  :o  :'(
not good...

in linux there is not an Pdf reader that is also able prin in Booklet mode.....

F,

utnik

you could install adobe reader on your linux system.
but you might prefere an open source tool like jpdftweak. with this tool you can manipulate .pdf files in many ways (shuffle up the pages in booklet order is one of them...)

utnik

Nermander

A bit of clarification.

What you want to do (place several smaller pages onto a larger sheet so it can be folded into a booklet) is called "imposition".

The wiki has a page with imposition tools.
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/PDF,_PostScript_and_Imposition_tools

While a booklet imposition is a quite simple imposition, professional publishing usally uses more complex impositions. For example 16 pages onto a large sheet, with bleed and creep adjustment. This means most impositioning tools are quite complex, because a tool that can do complex impositions can also do simple impositions. But a tool that can only do booklet imposition can not be used for other impositions.

As far as I know there are plans to implement some kind of imposition tool in Scribus, but since it alrady can be done using external tools I don't think it has a high priority.

The final line here is: Use the correct tools.

Use for example Gimp for editing photos, Inkscape for vector drawings, Scribus for page layout, LaTeX for "automatic" layout, imposition tools for imposition.