Losing font color when exporting to PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

cha80

Hi Everybody,

I have a little issue I have not yet managed to solve. When I export my document into PDF, I get a message error saying that my text is overflowing. And when I click continue, it shows me a PDF with only black text.
I'd be glad to have your input on this.

PS I'm not working on layers, maybe a mistake?

Thanks!

GarryP

Hi cha80.

I'm not sure what the problem is as you explain it.

Are you saying that all of the text in the document is getting changed to black no matter what colour it was just because one of the frames was overflowing?
Or are you saying that because a text frame is overflowing your PDF only includes text that is being changed to black and at the same time other stuff is missing, images or text frames of a different colour for instance?
Or is it something else?

It's the "only black text" phrase that is confusing me. It's just a little ambiguous and can be read a number of different ways.

However, to move things on, I tried to replicate what I think may be your issue in a very simple way: create a blank document; insert a text frame; add sample text to the frame (more than the frame can show); colour the text red; export as PDF; ignore text overflow; save the PDF. But the text displays as expected (in red).

Can you make sure you haven't got the "Output intended for" setting in the Colour tab of the Export dialog set to "Greyscale"?

If it's not, would it be possible for you to attach the SLA you're having trouble with (you may need to use "File -> Collect for Output" if you're using unusual fonts or any images are vital) along with the PDF that shows the issue?

If that's not possible/practical, for whatever reason:
* Have you tried a different font?
* Are you embedding or outlining the font in the PDF?
* Are you using styles to colour the text?
* Does the same problem happen with other documents?
* Has your PDF reader been set to only display greyscale? (That's a long shot!)

P.S. You're always working with layers. There's always at least one layer - called "Background" by default. If there wasn't there'd be nowhere to put things.

cha80

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for not having been very precise...
I have played around quite a bit and have managed to figure out some of the issues, except the font color issue, which always is black when I export to a PDF, but not when I export it as an image (which doesn't make any sense to me either...)

What I did, was to insert a text block, write my text, mark the text I want in a different color, click on the paintcan and choose the color. Is that what I'm not doing as I should?

I'm not using styles, I have to admit that I haven't taken the time to figure out how to create them.

I'm using the font Calibri, which is pretty basic.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nermander

Are you sure you are not exporting grayscale PDF?

GarryP

cha80, I replicated your workflow and got exactly what I expected. I.e. The text I applied the colour to was indeed coloured correctly in the exported PDF.

Have you tried to export a document containing coloured vector and coloured bitmap images? If they also export as black&white/greyscale then - as mentioned by both myself and Nermander above - you've probably got the "Output intended for" setting in the "Save PDF" dialog set to "Greyscale". (You may have set this completely by accident.)

Exporting as an image doesn't have an "export as greyscale" option so that might be where the difference comes from.

cha80

I finally identified the error....
When I export to PDF, my font has to be in Brownalia to keep it's original color.... Any ideas why? Did I forget to install something?

utnik