pictures .eps sometime return in export pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

Ma.

Hello all,

I have a problem to export picture (.eps) in pdf (1.3,1.4,1.5) with Scribus 1.4.3. I produced exactly 2 same graphs (with a loop in r software), except they relate 2 different species.

I use eps format for good print quality. For the same reason I check "embed pdf & eps files" box before export to pdf.
In pdf file, the first species graph appears the right way round, but the second is return.

Have you any idea why this happens?

Thanks for your help!
(and sorry for my English)
Ma.

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

Hi Ma.

I've never seen this problem before but I've just replicated it using your files.

In Scribus the images look correct.
Exporting to PDF without embedding the EPS graphics produces something that looks right but the images are "fuzzy" (as might be expected).
Exporting to PDF and embedding the EPS graphics makes the lower graphic rotate by 90 degrees clockwise.

I tried using a fresh Scribus document - in case there was something wrong with yours - and got the same results. (However, saving that same page as an EPS gives a correct result.)

The same problem can be seen when viewing the PDF with Adobe Reader, OSX Preview and Skim, so I don't think it's a PDF reader issue.

Swapping the order of the EPS graphics in the frames causes the problem to then occur in the first frame rather than the second one so I've a feeling that there is something wrong with the EPS file Sp2.eps. Can you recreate it somehow?

I know this doesn't help much but at least you know it's not just your setup that's doing something strange.

Ma.

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your interest in my problem and for trying different solutions.

I already recreate graph and try it before posting this problem. In fact, I notice that changing (shorten) the left y-axis label when I produce graphs in r, solves the "scribus to .pdf" problem. But the point is, in my data I have 25 species, and I need a long y-axis label to precise species, which cause sometime (12 of 25 species) this problem. I really don't know the difference between these files, because they were produced by exactly the same code.

I made the choice to present this problem to you (scribus users), because I think (maybe I'm wrong) that with scribus we can point more precisely the problem which after could maybe be solved in r... what do you think?

leaf

Quote from: Ma. on January 27, 2014, 03:56:18 PM

I use eps format for good print quality. For the same reason I check "embed pdf & eps files" box before export to pdf.
In pdf file, the first species graph appears the right way round, but the second is return.

Have you any idea why this happens?

Convert Your eps file in ghostscript to pdf, and next import your pdf in place eps - it is my alternative to solve problem.

ps
Your eps files are in RGB mode, Do you want print Your files in print house?
If You need print it in print house, will be better convert files in ghostscript to cmyk pdf.

gs \
-sOutputFile=cmykfile.pdf \
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
-sColorConversionStrategy=CMYK \
-dProcessColorModel=/DeviceCMYK \
-sOutputICCProfile=yourprofile.icm \
rgbfile.pdf

EDIT:
Scribus can import graph as editable file too.
I attach the file.
Before import, in ghostscript I convert eps to ps with convert text to curves
option in gs -dNOCACHE -sDEVICE=ps2write, or pswrite

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ma.

Thank you very much leaf, convert files in pdf solves problem!

However, I have not used ghostscript to convert, I directly create pdf files with r.

No I will not print these files in print house. What is difference between RGB and cmyk mode is important ?

Thanks again for you help!

utnik

hi ma

Quote from: Ma. on January 28, 2014, 05:14:55 PMNo I will not print these files in print house. What is difference between RGB and cmyk mode is important ?

if you print your files on your office printer (or on the digital printer in a copy shop) your files should be in rgb mode.
for offset printing you should ask your print shop. some of them will print from .pdf/x-3 with mixed content (rgb, cmyk...) and a defined cmyk output profile, others will demand all elements in cmyk – often as a .pdf/x-1a. (for which you'll need scribus 1.5...)

utnik

Ma.