Vector Images

Previous topic - Next topic

gctwnl

Two years ago when I looked at Scribus I decided not to use it as all the image handling seemed to be pixel-only. I must have vector images in the PDF output, though.

I have noticed that there is a way to import vector images (SVG for instance) that get translated to Scribus vectors. This is of course an option. I also noticed that on export to PDF there is an experimental option to embed EPS/PDF. Is that what I think it is? Is it possible to embed PDF vector images in my document and then on export to PDF get these embedded?

If so, the main reason for using Adobe InDesign has disappeared and I can consider moving my projects from InDesign to Scribu (which I would like to as I do not want to get locked in to Adobe's subscription scheme).

utnik

hi gctwnl

either it's much more than two years ago or you didn't look close enough – at least the import of .svg files is older...

• if you import vector files, the vectors will be part of the .sla. there's no 'one click update' when the source file is changed.
  • .pdf and .eps files are placed in image frames. these files are linked to the .sla file, not embedded. if you alter them, they get updated when you open the .sla file (like placed images...)
  • the so called 'experimental' part is about color management. if you check this box, the embedded file will stay with its color profile. there's no conversion to the output profile of the main .pdf. (if the box remains unchecked, the file will be rendered to a pixel graphic – but with color conversion...)
utnik

gctwnl

Thanks for the reply.

I might not have investigated enough indeed. At the time I looked at it I found that images I wanted to add were transformed from vector (SVG or PDF) to bitmap. Then I gave up. Now Scribus has improved or I looked better and I noticed I can add vector images which stay vector until the PDF export. So that is a solution for the main reason I did not start to use Scribus.