Line width is scaled when resizing a group of objects

Previous topic - Next topic

winxi

It seems that the line width of single grouped objects is scaled when resizing the whole group in Scribus 1.4.3. I think that this shouldn't be the case at all.
It also results in weird behaviour when resizing the whole group several times. One of these effects can simply be reproduced by the following steps:

1) Create a horizontal line with, lets say, a line width of 1pt and a width of 100pt.
2) Duplicate this line, horizontally align the duplicated line with the first one and group both lines.
3) Set the width of the group to 10pt.
4) Set the width of the group to 200pt.

The absolute line width of both lines will increase as long as steps 3) and 4) will be repeated.

GarryP

I can report that I've succeeded in reproducing the problem easily on OSX.

After reproducing the problem - with one diagonal line above the other - I also noticed some clipping errors where the group boundary cut out a bit of the top off the top line and a bit of the bottom off the bottom line. See attached screenshot.

Also, after resizing the group vertically larger, then smaller, the line width in "Properties" doesn't reflect the displayed width - it seems to be updated randomly with very odd effects. (I realise this isn't a very scientific description.)

Essentially line widths aren't being kept in line (excuse the pun) between what's on screen and what's shown in "Properties". However, there is an argument about whether line widths should change with resizing. Some would say yes, and give good examples of why, and others would say no, and give equally good examples. There is no right or wrong way to do this; it depends on what you're doing at the time and Scribus has no way of knowing what you want. The real problem is that you have no way of telling it.

I'd suggest reporting this as a bug - and related feature request - on Mantis but registration isn't possible at the time of writing (and I've probably got more than enough open issues under my name already!).

[attachment deleted by admin]

winxi

Quote from: GarryP on November 29, 2013, 02:09:41 PM
I can report that I've succeeded in reproducing the problem easily on OSX.

Thanks for confirming this.

After reproducing the problem - with one diagonal line above the other - I also noticed some clipping errors where the group boundary cut out a bit of the top off the top line and a bit of the bottom off the bottom line. See attached screenshot.

Also, after resizing the group vertically larger, then smaller, the line width in "Properties" doesn't reflect the displayed width - it seems to be updated randomly with very odd effects. (I realise this isn't a very scientific description.)

I've made similar observations regarding the group boundary and the line width in 'Properties'.

Essentially line widths aren't being kept in line (excuse the pun) between what's on screen and what's shown in "Properties". However, there is an argument about whether line widths should change with resizing. Some would say yes, and give good examples of why, and others would say no, and give equally good examples. There is no right or wrong way to do this; it depends on what you're doing at the time and Scribus has no way of knowing what you want. The real problem is that you have no way of telling it.

I agree that the problem is that it can not be chosen whether or not to change the line widths when resizing. My personal opinion is that line widths should not be changed by default when resizing.
In fact, it is possible to keep the line widths by just ungrouping the group before it is resized. However, this seems to be more a workaround than a good solution.

I'd suggest reporting this as a bug - and related feature request - on Mantis but registration isn't possible at the time of writing (and I've probably got more than enough open issues under my name already!).

I see, I hope that it will be possible again to register on Mantis. I've also a few other issues I would like to report.