Printing: Colors Washed Out [SOLVED]

Previous topic - Next topic

appalbarry

In the past I used Pagemaker and InDesign, but I'm actually finding that Scribus 1.3.3.13 does pretty much everything that I need.  I'm using it on Ubuntu Natty.

I have created a document that includes a number of jpg images.  Everything looks great on screen, but when I print to our HP Photosmart 2600 printer (on our network) all colors - and black for that matter - are washed out.

The same thing happens when I generate a PDF, either using the PDF button in Scribus, or by printing to PDF.

I've fiddled with printer settings and PDF settings (and wow, they are a lot of them!) but still no joy.

All other apps print with no problem.

Thanks!

Barry

appalbarry

Had to install ICC profiles, then enable Color Management.

Semi-decent instructions here:
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Getting_and_installing_ICC_profiles

NOTE: Until you have placed the ICC profiles into the right place, the Color Management sub-menu will not be displayed in the Preferences module.  I wasted too long looking for it.

I just used the default Adobe package, and it seems fine for my purposes.

Admin

By the way, if you're learning Scribus then it's not really a good idea to do it with a 1.3.3.x version. It's '5 minutes' before being completely superseded by 1.4.0 and no support or bug fixing will be done on this older branch.
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

appalbarry

Good to know - I think I just installed whatever came to hand last week.

Go to this page: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian

Open a terminal, sudo apt-get install scribus-ng

Got it!

The learning curve was really not too bad.

brianbone

I'm a NOOB and I have attached my color management settings in Scribus 1.4.0.rc1 - when I user "Get Image..." in a text frame, the image is dull and washed out, does that mean it will be when it prints? I will be exporting to pdf and don't know if what I see on the screen is what will be printed or not.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

right click on the image and set your preferred level of details in the preview...