svn builds should report the version number

Previous topic - Next topic

tduell

Quote from: Kunda on December 12, 2013, 05:21:39 AM
This is cool sleuthing. You might get more immediate help if you post to the Scribus mailing list lists.scribus.net

Thanks. Yes, I guess the mailing list is the place for this stuff, but I'm really on the periphery, and don't fancy yet another mailing list.

Cheers,
Terry

Kunda

FYI You can also try the #Scribus chat room on IRC through http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Special:WebChat and talk to the devs directly at least when they are there. Be patient waiting for a reply.

tduell

Yes, thanks.
I was advised about the chat room a while back, but I suspect timezones may be a bit of a problem.
I'll stick to an occasional email, I find it a Much more convenient medium.
Cheers,
Terry

a.l.e

hi

i had a look at it and i have a bad feeling about it.

the problem is, that svnversion can be run at cmake time only, but when you're updating from svn and recompiling you mostly don't run cmake again.
in this case the value you will be seeing the about dialog won't have much significance.

also, the best way to inject the svn version number into the about dialog, is by generating at cmake time a .h file that will be then included in the c++ code.
the problem is that you now have a file in your source tree that should not be included in the svn repository (and probably be added to a svn ignore file).

all in all, it does not seem easy to add a valuable information in a non invasive way.

i don't know, since the issue is not really of strategic importance, i think that if nobody comes up with suggestions to make it easier to integrate, i prefer to concentrate on other tasks!

sorry
a.l.e

a.l.e

p.s.: for the archive... this is the diff of the end result for my tests:
Index: CMakeLists.txt
===================================================================
--- CMakeLists.txt   (revision 18749)
+++ CMakeLists.txt   (working copy)
@@ -57,6 +57,23 @@
ENDIF (VERSION_SUFFIX)
MESSAGE(STATUS "Scribus ${VERSION} will be built to install into ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}")

+#SET (VERSION_SVN "1234")
+#add_definitions(-DVERSION_SVN="1235")
+
+FIND_PROGRAM(SVN_EXECUTABLE svn
+  DOC "subversion command line client")
+
+MACRO(Subversion_GET_REVISION variable)
+  EXECUTE_PROCESS(COMMAND ${SVN_EXECUTABLE} info ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR}
+    OUTPUT_VARIABLE ${variable}
+    OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE)
+  STRING(REGEX REPLACE "^(.*\n)?Revision: ([^\n]+).*"
+    "\\2" ${variable} "${${variable}}")
+ENDMACRO(Subversion_GET_REVISION)
+
+Subversion_GET_REVISION(ProjectRevision)
+MESSAGE(STATUS "Revision is ${ProjectRevision}")
+
#Set the permissions to be used when installing plugins
SET(PLUGIN_PERMISSIONS WORLD_EXECUTE GROUP_EXECUTE OWNER_EXECUTE WORLD_READ GROUP_READ OWNER_READ OWNER_WRITE)

Index: scribus/main_nix.cpp
===================================================================
--- scribus/main_nix.cpp   (revision 18749)
+++ scribus/main_nix.cpp   (working copy)
@@ -68,6 +68,7 @@
{
   emergencyActivated=false;

+  std::cout << "svn version" << VERSION_SVN << std::endl;
   ScribusQApp app(argc, argv);
   initCrashHandler();
/* possible fix for the Qt-4.4.0 locale problem */

tduell

Quote from: a.l.e on January 20, 2014, 08:26:34 PM

all in all, it does not seem easy to add a valuable information in a non invasive way.

i don't know, since the issue is not really of strategic importance, i think that if nobody comes up with suggestions to make it easier to integrate, i prefer to concentrate on other tasks!

OK.