pdf double-spage spreads

Previous topic - Next topic

shanidcruze

Hello
I have a scribus file for which I want the exported pdf (1.3 or 1.4) to display as double-page spreads.
In Save as pdf/Viewer, clicking the radio button for 'double page left' does it nicely when displayed in Adobe reader or Preview on my desktop.
However, the file is for download from a website, and in most browsers clicking on the link now displays the pages as well as the download link. And here it shows up in single pages.
Is there anything I can do in Scribus to preserve my double-page spreads? (Other than start from the beginning again and set the full spread as a single page).

Advice much appreciated
Shani

GarryP

Hello Shani.

I'm afraid that even if you make the document a double page spread that won't guarantee that the reader will see it as such.

Most PDF readers - in fact, all those I've looked at - allow the user to specify how the pages are displayed. So, whilst most people will probably have an equivalent of "display as document requires" set, some people will have "single page" or something similar as the default. In these cases your double page spread layout will be 'corrupted'. This is the same for in-browser PDF display functionality too.

For example, my Adobe Reader is set to just use the document settings - I keep the installation defaults for final pre-publication checks - but my Preview is set to only display single pages continuous - so I can see what stuff looks like from the "other way round".

Basically there's not much you can do. The user always has the option to override what you want anyway.

Garry.

shanidcruze

Thanks. I feared as much. Just thought it worth checking in case I'd missed a trick.
This job is one of a series, and earlier editions (done by other people in InDesign, I think) do display double-page spreads in the browser.
They must be laid out as such, I guess

Shani

GarryP

I think my advice would be to lay it out the way you want it to be viewed and hope that the user understands and respects the layout and views it accordingly.

You might find that most people see it the way you want anyway; not everyone knows how to change the settings on their viewer.