NEWBIE: How to deal with super HD image files in Scribus?

Previous topic - Next topic

rempit123

Hi all I'm a Scribus newbie, my question is simple, I am doing a banner size about 10feet by 10 feet with about 4 logos and a huge background image, they are all in hi-res tiff format created by my favourite app Photoshop CS4.

Ok now, my newbie question is, I want to arrange 4 logos and the background image into Scribus, how to do it?

that's all and thanks in advance

Nermander

Well, create image frames, Get Image and place the frames where you want them...

rempit123

Quote from: Nermander on October 09, 2013, 07:41:19 AM
Well, create image frames, Get Image and place the frames where you want them...

Thanks for your quick reply, wow!
1. ...so, which means I only do the layout, measurement etc in Scribus and keep my Photoshop tiff files untouch in a separate folder, right?

2. ...and what about when i want to send/email the Scribus+Photoshop tiff files out (to my printer) for printing into real banner? What format is best for this?

utnik

hi rempit

the required file will most probably be some .pdf format – your printer will tell you wich one...

utnik

rempit123

Quote from: utnik on October 09, 2013, 08:46:49 AM
hi rempit

the required file will most probably be some .pdf format – your printer will tell you wich one...

utnik

OK, so what I need to do is to save the file into *****.pdf maybe plus the Scribus work file as well, right?

utnik

hi rempit

Quote from: rempit123 on October 09, 2013, 10:55:46 AMwhat I need to do is to save the file into *****.pdf maybe plus the Scribus work file as well, right?

you should ask your printer. he will probably give you an output profile and he knows, wich .pdf format he can process...
i don't know if your printer will deal with the workfile. if he does, you'll need the 'collect for output' function to collect all the required images, fonts and color profiles.

utnik

rempit123

Quote from: utnik on October 09, 2013, 11:03:21 AM
hi rempit

Quote from: rempit123 on October 09, 2013, 10:55:46 AMwhat I need to do is to save the file into *****.pdf maybe plus the Scribus work file as well, right?

you should ask your printer. he will probably give you an output profile and he knows, wich .pdf format he can process...

utnik

OK i see, now only i know .pdf has got many different formats, so you suggest I should ask my printer which .pdf format, right?

utnik

Quote from: rempit123 on October 09, 2013, 11:11:07 AMso you suggest I should ask my printer which .pdf format, right?

...yes! – and if possible, which color profile...

utnik

rempit123

Quote from: utnik on October 09, 2013, 11:14:22 AM
Quote from: rempit123 on October 09, 2013, 11:11:07 AMso you suggest I should ask my printer which .pdf format, right?

...yes! – and if possible, which color profile...

utnik

Oh no, what is this color profile, please teach me (hehe....a super newbie here)

utnik

Quote from: rempit123 on October 09, 2013, 11:15:59 AMOh no, what is this color profile, please teach me (hehe....a super newbie here)

ok. – let's try to avoid a disaster...

every input and output device (cameras, scanners, screens, printers...) has its own color characteristic. in the case of a printer the final look depends on the printing ground (paper, film...) as well.

in order to convert a file from the color characteristics of your screen to the desired output system (printing machine and printing ground) we usually need a color management with profiles for every part of the system.
as you don't know what color profiles are, i suspect, your system runs without color mamagement (or at least without calibration...) – in this case, the best would be to talk with the printer.
if your work is not really color sensitiv, the uncalibrated monitor may not be a big problem. if it is sensible, the printer may let you take a look at your file on his calibrated system...
for the .pdf generation you will need an output profile. the printer will tell you, which one or deliver it. you don't have to install this profile in your color management software. it works, if the profile is in the same directory as the .sla file. scribus searches in this directory for fonts and profiles when you open the workfile. if you activate the color management in the document properties, you can select the profile in the .pdf output window...

there are other things to care about:

• ask the printer about bleeds
  • about the required resolution of the images
  • some printshops need the printfiles for banners in a scaled size (1:5, 1:10...)
for sure, you need to talk to the printer!

good luck
utnik

Nermander

A shorter explanation of color management:

A computer image does not contain colors. If contains numbers. A color profile tells you what color each number represents.

(Ok, that really is a description of a colorspace, but for the a newbie user it is probably sufficient.)

So, the profile for a scanner tells you what number a certain color gives. The profile for a printer tell you what color a certain number prints.

Edit: Typo.

rempit123

Wow, thanks a lot utnik & Nermander, really appreciate the replies.

I just realized that I am a beginner especially dealing with printer, now only I know!