Red cross instead of picture

Previous topic - Next topic

sara_t

Hi,
I'm using Scribus for two days, and I already have a problem... I created a file with 5 pages. I put pictures and texts on it. Everything was ok until tonight... I opened the file, and instead of my some of my pictures, I've red crosses... and when I try to put it again, I've got an error window :"Could not read directory.../.../xxx".

When I look at the directory from my desktop, everything is ok, I see all the files and pictures...

I tried to uninstall Scribus, to move pictures at another place, to open a new file... but nothing works.

I haven't changed anything, and I don't understand what to do.

Thanks for you help!

Sara

John_Jason_Jordan

Unlike word processors, Scribus does not embed images. Instead the image frames are linked to the image file on disk. If the files get moved Scribus will become very confused and unhappy. When Scribus is unhappy about missing image files it shows its displeasure by displaying all the image frames with a red X.

I'm not sure how this happened in your case. But you should be able to fix the problem by right-clicking on the image frame and selecting Get Image, then navigate to the image file on disk and re-select it.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, post back. Include more detail, which version of Scribus and which platform.
Linguistics on Linux!

sara_t

Thanks for your answer... but it's not the solution!

I haven't moved anything. When I right-click on the image and try to enter in a folder, that's where I've got an error. Whatever the folder or file, it's not working. "Error : could not read directory".

I use the version 1.3.3.14 of Scribus. (and sorry I don't get what 'platform' means...)

Thanks for your help!
PS : after checking, I've got this problem only with pictures (.jpg or .png), and not with texts.

Christen_Anderson

Quote from: sara_t on May 25, 2011, 09:53:54 PM

I use the version 1.3.3.14 of Scribus. (and sorry I don't get what 'platform' means...)

Platform is what OS you're using....Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc), OSX, Ubuntu, etc...
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

sara_t

Quote from: Christen_Anderson on May 25, 2011, 10:52:48 PM

Platform is what OS you're using....Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc), OSX, Ubuntu, etc...

ok thanks!! I'm using windows 7.

John_Jason_Jordan

Thanks for your answer... but it's not the solution!

I haven't moved anything. When I right-click on the image and try to enter in a folder, that's where I've got an error. Whatever the folder or file, it's not working. "Error : could not read directory".

Thanks for your help!
PS : after checking, I've got this problem only with pictures (.jpg or .png), and not with texts.

OK, now I see better what the problem is. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it would help if you would go to the directory with Windows file manager. If the file manager can open the folder, then we can assume the folder is not somehow corrupt. ("File manager" means Windows Explorer, or whatever it's called now in Windows 7.) The point is to view the folder with Scribus not even running.

You won't have the problem with text because Scribus does embed the text. It's only things that Scribus links to that will be a problem if Scribus cannot find or read the files. That includes all images.

Another point is that you should probably update to Scribus 1.4.0 RC3. It has a lot of new features and is almost ready for final release, so it is very stable. Version 1.3.3.14 is pretty old now, and we discover a bug in it the bug will not likely ever be fixed. But do bear in mind that 1.4.0 can open Scribus files created with 1.3.3.14, but not the other way around. If you do install 1.4.0 RC3, open your file in it, and then save the file you won't be ablve to open the file again with 1.3.3.14. Best plan is to make a copy of the file first and then open the copy in 1.4.0 RC3.
Linguistics on Linux!

a.l.e

hi sara,

basically: embedding pictures should work.

if you did see the pictures and don't see anymore it really means that you probably have moved your files or renamed a folder / directory.

may it also be, that your pictures are on a network disc or a removable disc? (usb disc?)

it's not easy to sort this out without "talking" to you and ask you further questions... could you please try to join us in the irc channel?
it's #scribus on irc.freenode.net

if you're not used to irc, you can go to
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Special:WebChat
fill the captcha and choose a nickname by typing
/nick yourname
in the text field at the bottom of the light blue area.

then you can write your question in the same text field and get some iteractive help from us...

the best time to find help there is the afternoon and the evening CET (it's mostly empty between 23:00 and 08:00 CET)

ciao
a.l.e

a.l.e

thanks to our administrator ("scribus" in here, "malex" elsewhere), now it's much easier for beginners to join our irc channel!
just go to

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Special:WebChat

fill the captcha! and connect!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

here a screencast explaining how to get into the webchat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Pv8KEB1sM

sara_t

Hi! Thanks for your answers. I haven't changed anything, but today all pictures are back in my document... I don't understand what happened...

If I've a problem again, I'll connect to Irc channel.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sara