Unexpected selection behaviour after using "Multiple Duplicate"

Previous topic - Next topic

GarryP

I've noticed unexpected behaviour when selecting objects after using the "Item -> Multiple Duplicate" function in 1.4.3 (on OSX).

Here's the workflow:

1. Create a polygon, or a text frame, or whatever (anything will do).
2. Use "Multiple Duplicate" with, say, 3 copies and a 10pt horizontal gap (the duplicates are created as expected).
3. Select any of the objects individually (they all seem fine).
4. Now, drag-select over the first object - all of the duplicates are also selected.
5. Otherwise, try to drag-select one of the duplicates - they can't be selected that way.

Also, if you move one of the duplicates it is no longer selected when drag-selecting the first object. It can now be drag-selected individually as normal however, as though it's been "orphaned from the group".

The Scribus Manual says that for 1.4.3 there have been "Significant enhancements to Multiple Duplicate" - even though I don't notice any difference from 1.4.1/2 - but I can't find an explanation in any of the usual places as to what these "enhancements" are.

It seems to be sort of working like Inkscape's cloned copy function (though without changes to one being replicated in the others) but I can't see an obvious visual clue that tells me that these objects are "linked" in any way. And since there's not much you can do to multiply-selected objects in Scribus that sort of "link" would seem a bit redundant.

Does anyone else get the same results? (I can't remember what used to happen in previous versions but this seems odd to me.)

P.S. After saving the document and re-opening it all seems as it should be - objects can be drag-selected as normal and there's no "link". So any benefits of a "link" that might have been there, in some way, are lost anyway.

Greg P