Can't Delete Gradient Nodes

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidBrennan

Is there a way to delete a single Gradient value in the colors?  It is very easy to add new Gradient nodes, but I cannot see a way to delete them. 

utnik

hi david

just drag the little triangles away...

utnik

GarryP

One small point that I'd add is that two of the triangles can't be dragged away because Scribus always needs two gradient stops.

These two stops don't look any different to the others that you add and the only way you can find out which they are is when you can't drag them away.

It's a trivial point but it can be confusing when you first notice it.

(I added an issue about this http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10714 last year.)

utnik

hi garry

Quote from: GarryP on August 18, 2013, 01:50:06 PM
One small point that I'd add is that two of the triangles can't be dragged away because Scribus always needs two gradient stops.

These two stops don't look any different to the others that you add and the only way you can find out which they are is when you can't drag them away.
this is a good point – but it looks like it has been solved – at least it's clear now, wich ones can't be removed...

in scribus1.4.3 always the two triangles near the edges are fixed. it doesn't matter if they are set manually or not. i can live with that. but the best way would be to set all of them removable until there are only two remaining...

GarryP

Hi utnik.

Sorry but I'm using 1.4.3 (on OSX) and the problem hasn't been fixed, it's just been changed.

Here's a workflow to try:
* Create shape.
* Select "Horizontal Gradient"
* Drag left-hand stop to middle.
* Add new stop to the left of the middle stop.
* New left-hand stop can't be dragged away, but...
* Drag middle stop to the left of the left-hand stop.
* Left stop can be now dragged away.

And the same happens when you do the same as above but on the right instead.

So you still can't know whether a stop can be dragged away without trying it. Therefore, to me, the problem still exists.

I agree with you that all stops should be removable until you're down to two. That would make much more sense.

(P.S. I can live with this too, it just might be annoying for people who don't know what's happening.)

GarryP

Actually, I've just noticed that Scribus seems to re-order the stops when you move away from the Colours palette so what you said becomes correct once you do that but it's not correct while you're still in that palette.

So, it's close to being fixed but it's still confusing as it seems to work in two different ways depending on what you do. The code probably just needs a little tweaking.

utnik

hi garry

i just switched the positions of the color stops (shuffled them in random ways...) and see your problem now.
but i never did such a position switch in a real scribus layout work. for me this looks like setting a color gradient from position 0% to position 50%, the next one from 50% to 20% and another one from 20% to 100%, or something like that – don't know how this gradient editor works, but it may be as confused as i am with this – i never squeeze and tweak a program in such a hard way – at least not in a real work situation...

the code inside the .sla file looks correct. but that's something else than the work in progress with the color editor – the code contains only the position and color value of the stops. i suspect an incorrect handling of the sequence in the editor...

utnik

GarryP

Yeah, I'm guessing that the code doesn't have to change much to make this right.

The problem goes away when you go back into the palette so something is putting things right, it just needs to do it during editing rather than at some other point.